This week in Sciencism we discus HIV antibody development, evidence for dark matter, smell sensors in the heart and lungs and proteins as the origin of life. We also discus misused science words, the new science quiz, special April fools science or fiction and last week in the past.
- HIV Antibody Evolution
- Dark Matter Experiment
- Extra Olfactory Olfaction
- Origins of Life – Proteins First?
Which physical phenomena explains the emission of electrons from matter when they absorb light energy? And who won the nobel prize for the discovery of the law describing this?
A – The photoelectric effect, Albert Einstein 1921
This weeks question…
Which hypothesis postulates that rather than species gradualy evolving another speices over time, species remain largely intact and over short burst of evolution become two separate species? Who first proposed this hypothesis and when?
Science Issues – Missued Language
Science or Fiction – April Fools Edition
- New fossil finds suggest stone henge to be an ancient “concert” site.
- Australian researcher’s classify new disease motivational deficiency disorder.
- Ionic wind viable alternative to jet propulsion.
Last Week In The Past
- This week in the past
- April 8
- 1911 – Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes discovers superconductivity.
- April 7,
- 1827 – John Walker, an English chemist, sells the first friction match that he had invented the previous year.
- 1924 – First round-the-world flight commences.
- April 5
- 1900 – Archaeologists in Knossos, Crete, discover a large cache of clay tablets with hieroglyphic writing in a script they call Linear B